Monday, September 2, 2013

DIY: Bleaching Denim

Entering SENIOR YEAR {go class 2014!} there have been many many times to go out with friends to the movies, football games and nights out. With all these times to go out comes the daunting task of deciding what to wear. And when every outfit I try on has been worn recently or when I have absolutely nothing to wear this is usually how I react:
So to stop the grinch in me from taking over I decided to make myself some new shorts!

As I am sure most of you have seen, dip dyed anything is a major trend. There are dip dyed shoes, bags, shirts, shorts and so much more! And I, being the DIY queen, decided to attack this trend for myself.

Things You'll Need:
-Jean Shorts
-Bleach
-Bucket
-Bottom Hanger
-Gloves










Get to it!



 I wanted my jean shorts to be distressed so before I started bleaching them I cut holes, sandpapered them, etc. {check out our post about distressing jean shorts for more details!}


First you need to set up your bleaching location. I was able to bleach my shorts outside on our patio so I didn't need to cover the ground with garbage bags. If you are completely dying your shorts, make sure you wear gloves to protect your hands. Bleach eats at anything it touches so be extra super careful not to get it on your clothes or hands. You don't need a lot of bleach!! You're only dipping your shorts in and then letting them dry, the bleach will work on its own. Once your all set up to bleach its time to get to it! 


Take your shorts and place them into the bleach. {I only wanted half of my shorts bleached so I didn't place them in all the way} The bleach will wick the fabric so make sure you don't bleach up to the level you want bleached. It will wick up to 2 inches lower than that or more.

Occasionally check the bleach line and continue to dunk your shorts further into the bleach depending on what you want.


After the shorts are bleached to the level you want, take the shorts out of the bucket and let them hang to dry somewhere. 
 

Within 5-10 minutes you will see very quick results. If you want the bleach line to be higher just dip the shorts back into the bleach for a little and then let them dry again. Your shorts will be bleached in no time! Throw them in the wash once you are happy with them to get excess bleach off and get ready to see your newest creation.

Taaaaadaaaa! Its super easy to make and its an adorable piece of clothing that will be great for senior year festivities:)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment